More than 200 years of progress and achievement
J & E Hall has a history that few companies can match. The origins of the business go back to 1785 when John Hall began his one-man workshop at Dartford in the UK. During the early part of the 19th century Halls gained a reputation for manufacturing steam engines and gun carriages. The company went on to export steam engines and boilers to Europe and Asia but it was not until the late 19th century that Halls moved into refrigeration.
In 1886 the Halls’ cold air machine was being lauded as a means of providing direct cooling for the preservation of provisions at sea on the SS Selembria.
Three years later there was another breakthrough when the company installed a two-stage carbon dioxide compressor for a frozen meat store at Smithfield Market, London.
By the early 1920s Halls were established as a major player in refrigeration and had installed more than half of the world’s marine cargo refrigeration. On land, in food storage, brewing and other processing industries, J & E Hall progressed to be a world leader.
The company grew steadily during the 20th century and merged with air conditioning pioneers Thermotank in 1959. APV acquired the business in 1976. In 1978 the first British single screw compressor, the HallScrew, was developed. This later received a Design Council Award in recognition of the company’s major contribution to refrigeration technology.
In 1995 AAF McQuay International purchased the refrigeration and freezer interests of APV in the UK. The company, with its proud past, is looking to the future with confidence and now has a worldwide base with manufacturing sites in Asia and Europe – and markets spanning the globe.
J & E Hall Today - manufacturing facility, Cecchina, Italy